Monday, October 17, 2016

Review of THE NUMBER 23


February 23, 2007



Jim Carrey surprises us here by appearing in a serious mystery suspense movie. In the beginning, we can still recognize his smart-alecky sense of humor, but this dissapears as the movie follows the paranoid obsession experienced by the protagonist, Walter Sparrow.

I like the fact that his whole family is involved in the development of his problem. I like the father-son relationship displayed, as Walter interacts with his son from beginning to end. His wife is played very well by Virginia Madsen. I was about to say she played very "smartly," but I remembered that it was her critical yet inexplicable action in the beginning of the movie that triggered the whole tragic chain reaction Walter had to undergo.

Bottom line, I expected something more. The weak set-up made the ensuing problem situation was too contrived. Despite majority opinion, I was satisfied with the ending. It is just that the route that director Joel Schumacher took towards that ending was unsatisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment