Thursday, February 15, 2018

Review of FROST/NIXON

February 9, 2009



This is the 5th and final Oscar Best Picture nominee that I watched. Honestly, this is the prime reason why I watched this. But, I am glad I watched it because the movie really peaked my interest, and I actually enjoyed it. I totally think "Frost/Nixon" is worthy of its slot on the Best Picture shortlist.

This movie recounts an event in the history of American television broadcast, which was totally unknown to me before I watched this film. This was a celebrated interview of the infamous resigned US President Richard M. Nixon by British talk show host David Frost in 1977. However from this rather limited and shallow plot, British playwright Peter Morgan was able to develop a hit play, and from that this very vibrant screenplay.

This is another very potent acting showcase. All of the actors did so well. The two lead stars were the same two who originated these roles in the West End (2006) and on Broadway (2007), and their familiarity with their respective roles shows. All the awards attention is being showered on Frank Langella in his performance as the disgraced Nixon. In fact, he has the lone acting nomination of this film. However, the entire cast should really be recognized as an ensemble.

The supporting actors provide a very lively background for which the principal actors perform. I have to give special mention to Oliver Platt and Sam Rockwell for playing Zelnick and Reston, the research staff of David Frost. I enjoyed ALL of their lines. So funny in their sarcasm. Pretty newcomer Rebecca Hall is the only female member of the cast, and she holds her own in her relatively decorative role as Frost's girlfriend Caroline. And who can forget fierce loyalty of Nixon aide Jack Brennan as played by none other than Kevin Bacon.

My favorite actor in all this was actually Michael Sheen who played the shallow show-biz oriented British talk show host, David Frost. Sheen, whom I only knew previously as Tony Blair in "The Queen," played it light, charismatic and likable as Frost was. He very effectively provided the sharp contrast to the serious and manipulative Nixon, as the script needed to succeed. He should have also been nominated for Best Actor.

Frank Langella worked under the disadvantage that he doesn't look like the very recognizable Richard Nixon. He needed to focus our attention on the inner persona and sharp intellect that Nixon is also known for. Mr. Langella slowly won me over from my initial hesitation of accept him at first, and he had me believing in him in the end. The script had emphasized Nixon's apparent greed for money, his sharp strategic mind and also his monumental pride. Yet at the end, he was unexpectedly still able to project humility (something which may not sit well with a lot of anti-Nixon people).

Unlike "Doubt", "Frost/Nixon" does not betray its theater origin. It was as if it was originally written for the screen. The language of Peter Morgan's script is so alive, evoking both tragedy and humor. This extraordinary writing especially shone in scenes showcasing the British wit of Frost, the mind games of Nixon, and the sarcasm of Frost's advisers. I think the vitality of the script helped the potentially static nature of the plot along and made the directorial job of Ron Howard quite easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment