Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Review of MAMMA MIA

July 17, 2008



My wife and I finally got to see this today. What can I say about this movie? I grew up on that ABBA music and I really enjoyed watching these songs actually fit into the situations in the lives of single mom Donna (veteran Meryl Streep) and her daughter Sophie (a very charming Amanda Seyfried), who live in their own villa-inn on a Greek island.

Sophie is now 20 years old and getting married to a guy named Sky. She never knew who her real father was. A few days before the wedding, she was able to get hold of her mom's old diary and got three names of possible candidates. How she was able to find the current addresses of an American architect Sam (a very enthusiastic Pierce Brosnan), a British banker Harry (a typical Colin Firth) and a Swedish writer Bill (a bit out of place Stellan Skarsgard), we will never know. But she was able to send invitations to them, and they all accept!

As I said, I was amazed how the ABBA songs seem to fit right into specific situations (not all though, like "Honey Honey" seemed misplaced). Like when Donna's best friends Tanya (Christine Baransky) and Rosie (Julie Walters) try to get a crying Donna to open up with "Chiquitita", as in "Chiquitita tell me what's wrong...") Later, they try to cheer her up with a rousing version of "Dancing Queen" that gets all the womenfolk on the island dancing.

Another part which made you feel as if the music was written for the story was "Slipping Through My Fingers", sung by Donna when she was bonding with Sophie for the last time before her wedding ceremony. This part was so beautifully touching (and yes, tear-jerking). I have not yet heard this song before, but I think I could sing this song at my own daughter's wedding.

The next song was the hit "The Winner Takes It All." Sam wanted to talk to Donna before Sophie's wedding, but Donna replies, "I don't wanna talk about things we've gone through..." Slipped in like a Cinderella's glass slipper, PERFECT! And Meryl Streep's singing was show-stopping. Vocally not perfect, but it was raw and convincing -- a bravura performance!

Everyone had a highlight. My favorite Pierce Brosnan song was "S.O.S." His rather gruff voice sounded quite unusual singing, but he kept on key. Julie Walters had her solo moment towards the end with "Take A Chance On Me", when she was trying to seduce Bill who was reluctant to give up his bachelorhood (imagine the scene ..."If you change your mind, I'm the first in line...take a chance on me" -- so appropriate!).

The story is simple, but engaging with surprises at the end. The look of the film may appear very rough around the edges due to the set design, make up and photography, but this was really like how Donna and Sophie lived their lives on that island. Cinematography was great looking with the breathtaking Greek scenery, but for some reason, it was very unflattering to the senior stars, including Ms. Streep and Mr. Brosnan. Ms. Streep's costumes do not really look very good on her.

But in general, it was very enjoyable and fun to watch. It was really the music that people loved, and the very capable cast more than succeeds to bring these beloved ABBA songs to life!


No comments:

Post a Comment