Thursday, February 15, 2018

Review of STAR TREK (2009)

May 12, 2009



I am definitely giving this movie a five star rating. I'd give it a six if I could. This is the best movie I have seen so far this year! I am not a serious Trekkie by any means. I know the members of the crew of the Original Series, but not with too much familiarity. But for a casual Star Trek fan like me, this prequel is really excellent! Excellent story. Excellent casting. Excellent technicals. Excellent execution.

The film begins with the birth of James Tiberius Kirk and it never lets up on the drama, the action, the science fiction, no holds barred. There is heavy drama even before the credits. (My wife already was teary-eyed by the end of that opening sequence!) Even when the story grapples with time travel, warps and black holes, you never get lost with the flow. The logic is always there. None of the usual plot holes that beset stories that deal with time.

I really have to complement the casting director. The new cast is amazing in its portrayal of the crew which millions of fans know and loved over the years. They have collectively succeeded in recapturing the spirit and character of the individual Enterprise crew members as young cadets. Kudos to Chris Pine as J.T. Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Mr. Spock. They really possessed the essence of the iconic characters, and the evolution of their friendship is very believable as portrayed. Apart from John Cho (as Sulu), the other actors are not really known to me, and this is an additional plus. The guy who played the young Dr. McCoy (Karl Urban) also did very well, as with the guy who played Scotty (Simon Pegg).

I congratulate the director J. J. Abrams for this bold visual spectacle that went well beyond my expectations. I went in the movie house with very high expectations due to the very positive word of mouth. I was definitely NOT disappointed. I exhort all of you to watch this movie on the big screen as it deserves to be watched. I think this movie would be a classic the appeal of which will never fade even after repeated viewings.


No comments:

Post a Comment