Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Review of X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE

August 11, 2008



Prologue:

I confess, I am such a big X-Files fan. This is one TV series that I have followed practically from beginning to end. This is the one TV series I actually bought SEVERAL books about! And this reunion film is actually my most awaited movie of this entire year 2008.

I was able to watch it today, August 11, 2 days prior to the actual showing in local theaters. I was lucky enough to have won a pair of tickets from a contest on TV which I caught while watching, what else but an X-Files Marathon one Saturday night on the AXN Beyond channel. That this advanced showing was shown in snazzy Powerplant Mall, with free movie snacks and great loot bag was a very welcome bonus.

The movie itself was preceded by previews of numerous upcoming 20th Century Fox films, most notable of which were: "Australia" (war epic with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman), "Mirrors" (great looking horror with Keifer Sutherland), "Body of Lies" (Leonardo diCaprio and Russell Crowe), "Babylon AD" (Vin Diesel), "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly), and "Nights in Rodanthe" (Richard Gere and Diane Lane).

*************************

The moment the intro strains of the famous Mark Snow score came in, I was riveted to the screen. This was indeed a worthy reunion of the beloved X-Files family: Director Chris Carter and his stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. The old chemistry was there even if the agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully have visibly aged physically. The interactive wordplay between the two agents was just as electric as before.

The story did not have aliens nor any conspiracy angle in it. This was about a monstrous series of killings and the ex-Catholic priest who can see visions about the crime (but he just so happened to be a child molester). The stumped FBI call in retired agents Scully (out of her private practice at Our Lady of Sorrows Hosptial) and Mulder (out from his self-imposed isolated exile) to help with the psychic angle.

The trademark suspense was definitely all there, as was the gruesomeness and unbelievable nature of the crimes. I would accept the out of this world premise in this case, as this IS the X-Files anyway. The story of this film is practically the episode "Clyde Bruckman's Last Response" admixed with Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".

For me, Gillian Anderson is as luminous as before as she essays the inner conflicts of Dr. Dana Scully in her side story as a physician with a boy patient dying from debilitating Sandhoff's disease. Her sensitivity as an actress is so palpable. It is very visible in this film the reason how she had won 2 SAG, a Golden Globe and an Emmy Best Actress awards for playing Dana Scully. She is indeed the perfect embodiment of Dana Scully. Good thing Chris Carter stood pat on his casting decision even when the network wanted to hire a more popular actress at the time. Oscar nominations might be a long shot, but really, she is the best part of this movie.


************************

Epilogue:

Wow, I have really been sleeping late for the past five days now! Thursday, I had classes in Modules and our alumni choir practice. Friday, I watched the Opening Ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics. Saturday, I was invited to a birthday party of a 95 year old grand dame. Sunday, my daughter and I watched "Cinderella" at the CCP. And now, this X-Files premiere. Tonight, I will have my Midterm exam in Epidemiology at Grad School. After that exam, I can sleep early already...


No comments:

Post a Comment