Sunday, October 16, 2016

Review of CHARLOTTE'S WEB

February 1, 2007



I went to see this film with my wife and daughter this afternoon. I am not familiar with the entire story of "Charlotte's Web" so I totally did not expect the development of the story and how it would end. I must confess that I really did not feel like watching this film in the first place. But I must say, I am very glad I did.

A major part of the touching quality of the film, besides, of course, the moving words in the screenplay, is the voice of Julia Roberts. It is so beautiful and sincere -- a voice that really radiated the nobility and purity of Charlotte's nature as a beloved friend. It is indeed "some voice" (to borrow a reference from the film)!

The only drawback to this interpretation of the children's book is that I felt I was watching "Babe" all over again. However, this feeling disappears as the movie progressed. I actually cared for Wilbur and Charlotte for totally different reasons than I did for Pig in "Babe".

Another plus are the great songs that played over the final credits! Certainly worth the time to listen. "Ordinary Miracle" by Sarah McLachlan and an great alt-rock version of Stevie Wonder's "A Place in the Sun."


No comments:

Post a Comment