Monday, October 17, 2016

Review of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 3: AT WORLD'S END


June 11, 2007



I'm giving this movie 4 stars only because of the last 2 hours. The first hour, for me, went by so slowly and unexcitingly. The scenes of multiple Johnny Depps were too stagey, hammy and self-indulgent, not to mention weird. There was also that very long and surreal scene with the ship and the crabs. Huh???

However, once that Council Meeting of the Pirate Lords got underway, I finally got the Pirates movie I was waiting very eagerly for!

The last 2/3's contained the swashbuckling action, drama, comedy and romance of the high level we have come to expect from this franchise. Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley look good together and do very well in their action scenes, as well as their "wedding" scene. There was no scene here that was as distinctive as the "Fighting on the Rolling Wheel" scene in Pirates 2, but there were several well-choreographed fight scenes here as well.

I was not too happy with the Calypso scenes, nor how that was resolved. They way it was built up, I was expecting a bigger revenge disaster, than the rain and whirlpool we got. I also thought that Chow Yun Fat was under-used (even 'mis'used) in his role.

Yes, it was too long. Yes, the beginning sucks. However, the middle to the conclusion was well worth your patience. But still, hey, I liked Pirates 2 more.


No comments:

Post a Comment