Sunday, October 16, 2016

Review of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

February 6, 2007



Honestly, my main motivation for watching this film is because of its awards and nominations, particularly that for the Best Picture Oscar. In all honesty, this is the least "Best Picture"-like nominee I have seen. Ok, there were other independent films there before, but "Little Miss Sunshine" really looked like it did not even dream to go this far! Unlike when "Sideways" or "Lost in Translation" were also unexpected Best Picture nominees, LMS seems to be a longer shot. But what do I know, huh?

The set design is cheap. The story is strange and un-PC. But I believe the charm of this movie is really the cast. I think it defines ensemble acting. I think it deserves to win that SAG Ensemble award. The movie does not belong only to one person. Every member of the cast is supporting of each other.

As the title character, Olive, Abigail Breslin is cute and pleasant and innocent. Her highlight for me is not her pageant dance number, but her quiet moment with her Grandpa (Alan Arkin) the night before. For me, that scene is THE most important in the whole movie as far as the main storyline is concerned.

Steve Carell is quite effective in his serio-comic role. This guy is really good. Paul Dano is really strange -looking as his character is. His highlight scene was when he found out a vital physical defect of his.

Also very funny is the way they have to board their beat-up VW van! You can see it in the poster. Hilarious!

Well with this one, I have already seen 4 out of the 5 Oscar Best Picture nominees (The Departed, The Queen, Babel, LMS). Only "Letters of Iwo Jima" left. I hope they can show this in the theaters before Feb 25. I am still rooting for "The Departed" and Martin Scorsese to win!


No comments:

Post a Comment