Monday, October 17, 2016

Review of DERAILED


August 30, 2007


I just caught this on cable in Saigon, while packing my suitcase the night before our departure. I did not really have background information about it. I actually thought it was a love story. Much to my surprise, it was nothing of the sort at all! The action that went on inside that seedy hotel room between Charles (Clive Owen) and Lucinda (Jennifer Aniston) went from steamy fantasy to violent nightmare in a matter of minutes.

As a man, I felt I am feeling everything that Clive's character was feeling as he went through his ordeal. I liked the quiet understated acting of Clive Owen. He projected the sheer weight of helplessness and haplessness as Charles goes into a massive guilt trip. His eyes could not have been more expressive of despair. Man, kawawa talaga! (Sorry, I could not express that too well in English. "He is really pitiful!" simply does not carry the same punch.)

It was also great how the story turned out with the surprising revelations and secrets. Neat! Vincent Cassel is truly vicious here. And Jennifer Aniston, wow! All I can say is, she isn't Rachel Green in this one.

OK, it does get a little illogical towards the end on how Charles gets his justice. But for me, the great emotional story development in middle part more than makes up for this.


No comments:

Post a Comment