Monday, October 17, 2016

Review of OUIJA


July 31, 2007


Of the big movies in theaters this week like "Ratatouille" and "The Simpsons", I chose to watch this local horror flick first. Okay, so I am a sucker for these glossy local horror films. I really enjoyed watching "Feng Shui" and "Sukob" very much, and recommended them effusively to my friends at that time. Liked those clever little twists at the end for both these flicks. Although, I only realized recently that the twist of "Sukob" is quite similar to that of "Sigaw" (which is now in production in Hollywood as "The Echo") when I caught the latter film on TV.

Now back to "Ouija". The 'spirit of the glass" story has been done very many times, hasn't it? This one, though, goes one bit further because the ghost can torment the victims even if they are already far away from the scene of the original seance. And furthermore, the ghost can torment separate victims simultaneously! This concept innovation led to a very entertaining scarefest in the middle part of the film where three parallel ghost attacks were shown interlaced with each other. That was a great film editing achievement!

I also liked the ending. Okay, there's a twist when you least expected it. I don't spend time in films like this to try to predict the twist. I want to enjoy the revelation. That is why when it came, I think that this twist was rather intelligent and logical. Nice touch.

Now for the minuses. I think this film is replete with borrowed previously done Asian horror gimmicks. How many times can they rehash the dirty long-haired girl in white crawling with jerky movements (famously done in "Ringu")? Or the ghost girl appearing under the blanket where a frightened character was hiding (first seen in The Grudge")? Or will there always be a bathroom stall scene in these films??? Or a looking under the bed scene??? Argghhh! I wish they would stick to more original scare tactics (which they had) than merely repeat classic scenes. These very familiar scenes diminish really the scare factor, and can even be predictably funny.

Now for the actresses. I must say that the presence of superstar Judy Ann Santos is quite distracting (more distracting than Kris Aquino in "Feng Shui" and "Sukob"). It is so anti-type, that it seemed very artificial for her to portray a chain-smoking bitchy lawyer. Jolina Magdangal, on the other hand, underplays her quiet part quite effectively. Iza Calzado seems a bit of place as a narcissistic hammy stage actress, providing some comic relief.

Some very effective scary scenes (except for those obviously copied ones) with excellent editing, cinematography and music. And for me, a good ending. Good enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment